Disclaimer

We are not trained mental health practitioners. This site is not a helpline. While we do try to respond to comments, we are not always online. If you are in distress or worried about someone you know, please call your local emergency line (911) or a crisis hotline (1-800-273-TALK).

Thursday 10 October 2019

Recovery Series: Part 1-Getting Past Perfectionism

I have my hands full--and my heart full. A new baby girl, lily's been given a new diagnosis (more on that likely to come), a new job, fundraising, traveling, unpacking and setting up in a new apartment…. will life ever slow down? Maybe not? 

I have many more ideas for this blog as life pushes my brain in different directions of learning, and I want to share it all, but there is never enough time. 

In the meantime, I’ve been sitting on a series about recovery--mostly a personal account of my recovery, but with hopefully some ideas that could be helpful to others on the journey. And I've had a bunch of little nudges lately to put it out there. So here goes.

I’m excited--and nervous--to finally be going ahead with this series I’ve been planning and working on for years. I’ve probably waited too long, but I never felt ready to put it out there. I still don’t feel ready to be honest, but I am learning to fight the perfectionist tendency that has me waiting until I have every wandering duck neatly in a row.

Let me just say from the outset that I absolutely acknowledge that the recovery process is unique to every individual. Still, I’m convinced that someone struggling with illness or watching a loved one struggle can be encouraged and informed by hearing about what worked for someone else. I know such stories from others encouraged me.

I also hope to take some of the fear of the unknown out of the idea of recovery. I remember when I was at my worst point, contemplating therapy and the kind of work it was going to take to recover, and I felt more overwhelmed than I’d ever felt in my life. The task, viewed from the bottom, seems insurmountable. Just remember, you only have to take one step at a time….

Which is how I’ll be taking this series. Until next time,

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment